Gizmo's Spiced Margarita
As we continue our journey through the festive film landscape with "Christmas Movies and Cocktails," we couldn't ignore the 1984 cult classic; Gremlins. Directed by Joe Dante, this Christmas-horror gem unfolds in the quaint town of Kingston Falls, Pennsylvania, where our hero Billy meets cute little Gizmo before disaster strikes.
Gremlins on Amazon Prime or Apple TV
Seeing as the margarita is still the number one cocktail in popularity in the USA, we reckon the little critters would be a fan of tequila, plus the apple and cinnamon are just the ticket for warming up in the snowy weather.
At first glance, the combination of apple, cinnamon, and margarita might raise an eyebrow or two. But let us assure you—this is a partnership made in mixology heaven. The crisp sweetness of apple, the warmth of cinnamon, and the zesty kick of a margarita blend seamlessly to create a festive symphony for your taste buds.
We made ours with Patron Tequila Reposado as it is more earthier than a tequila blanco, but both work in this recipe. Also, if you're not a fan of cinnamon, you can simply take it out of the recipe- but even the tiniest hint of cinnamon in the syrup adds more depth.
We also found some lovely glassware if you wanted to go all out! This cute Gizmo tiki mug is ace- or for a more sophisticated look, these beautiful glasses from 'Not on the Hight Street' are beautiful- and you're supporting an independent business at the same time- so win, win!
A cute Gizmo Mug, and some beautiful Margarita glasses
So kick your feet back, pop on the movie and settle down for another Christmas cocktail and movie combo this weekend!
Gizmo's Spiced Margarita
Recipe for Gizmo's Spiced Margarita
- 40ml tequila reposado
- 30ml Cointreau or home-made orange liqueur
- 50ml good quality apple juice
- 15ml fresh lime juice
- 15ml agave and cinnamon syrup
- Apple slices, cinnamon, brown sugar and sea salt for garnish
Agave and Cinnamon Syrup:
To prepare the agave and cinnamon syrup simply add agave and hot water together at a 2:1 ratio. Stir until the agave is fully dissolved and pop into a sterilised bottle. Add cinnamon sticks to the bottle and shake. Seal and pop in the fridge. (This is a fab syrup to keep for other cocktails and recipes- on your oats in the morning, a nice addition to an old fashioned or negroni, with stewed apples as as dessert.....)
For the cocktail:
1. First you can decorate your glass. We created a brown sugar, sea salt and cinnamon dust (just a very small amount of cinnamon will do.) Rub a wedge of lime around the rim of the glass, and roll in the mixture. Wipe off any messy spots.
2. In a shaker, combine tequila, orange liqueur, apple juice, lime juice, and the agave and cinnamon syrup.
3. Add ice cubes to the shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
4. Strain the mixture into the glass carefully.
4. Garnish with a couple of dried apple slices for the Gremlin ears!
The Spiced Margarita promises to be a highlight of your holiday celebrations, whether you're hosting a movie night or you're wanting a yummy drink to warm you up, this cocktail is a keeper! Enjoy!!!