I used to love Mojitos, until I started making them and realised how much sugar goes in them. Ignorance is bliss.
But, you don't have to let the sugar content stop you at home. You can easily use an alternative sweetener such as honey, agave or stevia. We think agave gives a good alternative flavour-wise to a dark sugar, and goes well in a mojito. If you prefer them clean and fresh- a couple of drops of stevia will do the trick.
Another option is to use fresh fruit either muddled in, or as a juice. This adds the sweetness as well as any added nutritional factors. Of course, you are adding rum so let's not pretend we're being healthy here. I know, I know....we tried.
For our final cocktail 'with benefits' feature in February, we're using the last of our Açai juice. It's not too sweet, but that's how we like it.
You can of course replace the rum with an alcohol-free alternative but to be honest, I'd recommend just taking it out. The Açai with soda, over ice with mint and lime is the most delicious alcohol-free drink, so save your cash for a rainy day!
Let us know what you think of this delicious take on a Mojito- your pics are always welcome!
3 lime wedges
A handful of garden mint
50ml good quality rum- we used Norfolk White Rum and it was delicious!
50ml Açai Juice
1. First off, bash up some ice to use in the cocktail.
2. Squeeze 3 lime wedges into your glass and throw the limes in.
3. Next take a handful of garden mint (for a variation try using basil too, it really works with the Açai). Give it a wash, a bash with your hands (this releases the aroma) and pop it in the glass.
4. Muddle everything in the glass! If you don't have a muddler, you can use the handle of a wooden spoon or a pestle.
5. Pour in your Açai Juice, rum and then fill the glass with ice.
6. With your hand covering the top of the glass, give the ice a stir, making sure you bring up all of the ingredients at the bottom of the glass.
7. Add any extra ice to fill the glass. Pour a dash of soda water to fill to the top.
8. Give your cocktail a little taste. Is it too sour for you? If so, you can use this opportunity to add a little sweetener (see above). It really depends on the juice you are using and your taste.
9. Garnish with berries, mint, basil or lime.
If you like this recipe but fancy taking the trouble out of making cocktails at home, you can simply order cocktails from Mindful Mixology to be delivered straight to your door!
If you like this recipe you might just fancy our award-winning Grapefruit Margarita. At just £10 for 2 large servings, it's a super treat for the weekend. You can also buy it in our 'gift box of three.'
Mindful Mixology delivers cocktails direct to your door all over the UK, posted out the same day when you order by 10am. So, if you can’t be with a loved one on a special occasion, or want a delicious cocktail delivered to the door, we will ensure that your cocktails are delivered safely and securely straight to your front door. Our bottled cocktails delivery service is second to none with our robust designed packaging that keeps your order safe in transit.
Placing your order couldn’t be more straightforward, just place your cocktail order online on our website. Then you can provide any notes, for example, the fact that it's a gift and you would like a hand-written note in there.